Sulfur is a chemical element that is present in all living tissues. After calcium and phosphorus, it is the third most abundant mineral in the human body. Sulfur is also found in garlic, onions and broccoli.
People take sulfur by mouth for shortness of breath, allergies, swelling in the back of the throat (pharyngitis), high cholesterol, clogged arteries, menopause, and upper respiratory tract infections like the common cold.
Sulfur is applied to the skin for acne, hayfever, skin redness (rosacea), dandruff, scaly and red skin patches (seborrheic dermatitis), an itchy skin infection caused by mites (scabies), lice, cold sores, warts, and poison oak. . . , ivy, and sumac infections.
- Common cold.
- High cholesterol.
- Redness on the face (rosacea).
- Shortness of breath.
- Swelling of the back of the throat (pharyngitis).
- Clogged arteries.
- Menopausal symptoms.
- Cold sores.
- Scaly and red skin patches (seborrheic dermatitis).
- Poison oak, ivy, and sumac infections.
Sulfur is POSSIBLY SAFE when applied to the skin appropriately, short-term. Products containing sulfur in concentrations up to 10% have been used safely for up to 8 weeks. In some people, sulfur products may cause the skin to become dry.